These are resources that have been prepared for use by parents and families who are invested in school attendance. They may be relevant to the prevention of absenteeism, identifying the early signs of a school attendance problem, or responding to a chronic or severe attendance problem. If you are looking for resources in a language other than English, please check the ‘My Country’ menu.
- Kearney, C.A. (2006). Solutions to school refusal for parents and kids: Pinpoint and address reinforcers of the child’s behavior. Current Psychiatry, 5, 67-69, 73-76, 78, 83. (Reprinted in part from Journal of Family Practice article with extra material at editor’s request).
Books and Book Chapters
- Kearney, C.A., & Haight, C. (2011). Avoidance and school refusal. In G.P. Koocher & A.M. La Greca (Eds.), The parent’s guide to psychological first aid: Helping children and adolescents cope with predictable life crises (pp. 206-212). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Kearney, C.A. (2007). Getting your child to say “yes” to school: A guide for parents of youth with school refusal behavior. New York: Oxford University Press.
- SEL and Mental Health Resources During the COVID-19 Outbreak
- A podcast 'What to do when your child refuses to go to school', based on an interview with Dr. Jonathan Dalton, Director of the Center for Anxiety and Behavioral Change.
- A website called ‘School Refusal Families’ focused on school refusal, prepared by a person conducting research in this area
- A website called ‘School Refusal Hope’ for the parents of school-refusing youth
- ‘Peer support for Australian families with children & teens experiencing school refusal’, a parent-created website under the name School Phobia / School Refusal Australia.
- A blogg about school refusal, titled ‘Tis better to have feared and fled, than never to have feared at all’.
- 'School refusal: A small guide to supporting school attendance', written for those personnel working at schools and in student welfare who meet with children and young people who are often absent from school, and also written for their parents and guardians. Authors of the booklet are J. Sergejeff, T. Pilbacka-Rönkä, and H. Mantila.
- A handout for parents, about how they can support a child with school refusal
- A handout for parents with information and strategies to help them assist their child or adolescent who has been refusing to attend school