People, groups, and organizations
- The School Phobia Association is an association of parents of children who display or have displayed school refusal. The association aims to change the understanding, recognition, and care of these children in need. The association’s projects are: Support for Families, Help with Exchanges with School Teams, Research and Reflection with Health Professionals. https://www.apsphobiescolaire.org/
- The National Assessment Board of the School System (CNESCO, ‘Conseil National d’Evaluation du Système Scolaire’) is an institution charged with independent evaluation. It is composed of scientists from various disciplines, parliamentarians, as well as members of the Economic, Social and Environmental Council. CNESCO conducts a scientific and participatory evaluation of the school system to enlighten the various actors in the school and the general public. http://www.cnesco.fr/en/homepage/
- The Nantes Center for Educational Research (CREN EA2661) is the University of Nantes research laboratory in education. CREN conducts research in two areas: (1) Education Policies and Training Facilities; and (2) Education, Teaching, and Learning Processes.
- The Academic Cell for Research and Development in Innovation and Experimentation (CARDIE) is responsible for supporting institutions and/or schools and developing national innovation and experimentation policy. https://www.ac-paris.fr/portail/jcms/p1_1629698/qu-est-ce-que-la-cardie?cid=piapp1_70366
- The French Association of Psychologists, National Education. https://www.afpen.fr/
Current and upcoming activities and achievements
- CARDIE conferences. The Academic Cell for Research and Development in Innovation and Experimentation (CARDIE) is responsible for supporting institutions and/or schools and developing national innovation and experimentation policy. Each conference offers a meeting with a researcher or an academic. The conference continues with a moment of informal exchanges between participants, the speaker, and the CARDIE team. Registration is open one month before the date of each conference. https://www.ac-paris.fr/portail/jcms/p2_1687924/les-conferences-de-la-cardie-2018/2019
- The Nantes Center for Educational Research (University of Nantes) ‘Territories and Dropouts’ project (TEDs). Funded by the National Research Agency, the TEDS research project aims to report on the territorial variations of school dropout in France, in order to determine the effects of context on this phenomenon and to better understand the diverse pathways and reasons for stalling youth. Researchers rely on a new approach that considers the diversity of school dropouts and their inclusion in specific territorial configurations, from local to national.
Earlier activities and achievements
- May 2018: Conference titled "Territories and School Dropouts" hosted by the University of Nantes. The conference focused on the results of the program financed by the National Research agency, and took stock of the research carried out on the issue of school dropout (TEDs), https://teds.sciencesconf.org/
- Novembre 2017: International Comparisons Conference, “How to effectively deal with school dropout?”, hosted by the National School System Evaluation Council (‘Conseil National d’Evaluation du Système Scolaire’ [CNESCO]). http://www.ciep.fr/actualites/2017/10/02/conference-comparaisons-internationales-comment-agir-efficacement-face
Helpful links and other resources
- See the website of the School Phobia Association: https://www.apsphobiescolaire.org/
- The French translation of the School Refusal Assessment Scale is available in the following article: Brandibas G., Jeunier B., Gaspard J. L., & Fouraste R. (2001). Evaluation des modes de refus de l’ecole: validation francaise de la SRAS (School Refusal Assessment Scale) [Evaluation of school refusal modes: French validation of the SRAS (School Refusal Assessment Scale)]. Psychologie et Psychometrie, 22, 45–58. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/260593700_Evaluation_des_modes_de_refus_de_l'ecole_validation_francias_de_la_SRAS_School_Refusal_Assessment_Scale
- The School Refusal Evaluation Scale for Adolescents is available in the following article: Gallé-Tessonneau, M., & Gana, K. (online august 2018). Development and validation of the School Refusal Evaluation Scale for Adolescents. Journal of Pediatric Psychology, https://doi.org/10.1093/jpepsy/jsy061. For access to the questionnaire, please contact Marie Gallé-Tessonneau: firstname.lastname@example.org
- French-language articles about school refusal and cognitive behavioral intervention:
- Denis, H., & Caron, E. (2018). Refus scolaire et absentéisme à l’adolescence. EMC Psychiatrie, 3, 1-10. http://www.ascodocpsy.org/santepsy/index.php?lvl=notice_display&id=352157
- Denis, H., Fendeleur, S., Girod, C., Conejero, I., Bouvard, M., & Baghdadli, A. (2018). Refus scolaire anxieux: efficacité d’un programme de TCC en hospitalisation de jour. Journal de Thérapie Comportementale et Cognitive, 28, 123-130. http://www.em-consulte.com/article/1240870
- French-language books about school refusal:
- Association Phobie Scolaire (2016). Ecole quand la phobie prends le dessus. Editions J. Lyon. https://www.amazon.fr/Ecole-quand-phobie-prend-dessus/dp/284319363X
- Nicole, C., & Raynaud, J.-P. (2016). Les phobies scolaires aujourd'hui. Collection Psychiatrie en Pratique : Lavoisier. http://www.lavoisier.eu/books/medicine/comprendre-les-phobies-scolaires/raynaud/description-9782257206633
- Le Heuzey, M.F., & Mouren, M.-C. (2010). Phobie scolaire: Comment aider les enfants et adolescents en mal d'école? Editionss J. Lyon. https://www.amazon.fr/Phobie-scolaire-Comment-enfants-adolescents/dp/2843192323
To contribute information that may be of interest to others in your country, please contact your country’s host: Marie Gallé-Tessonneau (email@example.com). As the International Network for School Attendance grows, materials will be added to your country’s webpage. Currently, this webpage is updated every three months.