Information in the menus below was updated in June 2019. To contribute information that may be of interest to others in your country, please contact your country’s host: Malin Gren Landell (firstname.lastname@example.org). As the International Network for School Attendance grows, materials will be added to your country’s webpage.
People, groups, and organizations
Not for profit
- A governmental investigation focused on promoting attendance in the Swedish compulsory school system. The investigation was conducted by Malin Gren Landell, psychologist, PhD. The investigation resulted in changes in the school law related to school absenteeism. The changes primarily concern assessing reasons for school absenteeism, information at transitions from one school to another, and cooperation. The changes are valid from July 1st 2018.
- There are many examples of good work in various municipalities around Sweden. Currently there is no overview of this work, formal evaluation, or comparison to control. Contact: Malin.Landell@norrkoping.se
- Reducing school absenteeism - Promoting Health in Gothenburg. A 3-year ongoing multidisciplinary project in Gothenburg, conducted in collaboration between private funded and public funded organizations and researchers from different universities. The aim is to proactively promote school attendance, instead of only taking measures when the students are already absent. The present project is carried out in Angered, one of ten urban districts in Gothenburg. One of the solutions is a digital tool that uses data related to student attendance, and, using machine learning, predicts attendance and absence of individual students. Opportunities are explored to develop a process of collecting questionnaire data from students using a mobile-app, which can also improve the predictions of the machine learning system. The mobile-app will also provide data that increases the understanding of the needs of students, and make schools better equipped to tailor successful interventions. We also plan for a digital action toolbox that includes suggestions for actions that schools can use to increase the school attendance. Furthermore, the analysis of the data can provide us with better understanding of health needs of young people and a better understanding of school environment. Collaborators: Institute for Future studies, Swedish Association of Local Authorities and Regions, Linköping University, Karolinska Institutet, Gothenburg City intraservice, Gothenburg City Primary and compulsory School Administration, Region Västra Götalandsregionens enhet för samhällsanalys, Ivbar Institute AB, Gothenburg University, Sahlgrenska Academy, Secondary Schools Administration, Ping Pong AB. The project is also conducted in collaboration with Sveriges Utbildningsradio AB and Social resursförvaltning. Financial support from Vinnova (Sweden Innovation agency). Contact: email@example.com
- Translation of the Inventory of School Attendance Problems (ISAP) into Swedish. ISAP contain 48 items to assess a broad spectrum of school attendance problems. Contact: Ola Tengnér, teacher in special education, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Research report on short- and long-term outcomes of a CBT-based treatment for students with extensive school non-attendance. Contact: Robert.Palmer@magelungen.com
- Anna Borg works as a special educator at KIND, Center of Neurodevelopmental Disorders at Karolinska Institute . Anna has conducted a project on prevention of problematic school absenteeism. Contact Anna.Borg@ki.se
- Martin Karlberg, PhD, Researcher and Senior Lecturer, Department of Education, Uppsala University, Sweden. Contact email@example.com
- Prestationsprinsen. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Magelungen. Contact: Robert.Palmer@magelungen.com
- Malin Gren Landell. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Krysmyntha Sjödin and Marie Gladh. Contact: email@example.com
- Rolf Agaton. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Current and upcoming activities and achievements
- 2019 September – December: seminars on school absenteeism
Past activities and achievements
- 2016-2018: #jagmed is a project with joint effort among counties to reduce the number of young people dropping out of school. The aim was to help young people return to studies or internships/work and get a permanent affiliation to the labour market. The project was funded by the European Social Fund (ESF) Contact: Lars-Inge Jonsson, Lars.email@example.com, & Josefin Brüde Sundin, firstname.lastname@example.org
Helpful links and other resources
- SOU 2016:94 Saknad! Uppmärksamma elevers frånvaro och agera.
- Gren Landell, Malin (2018). Främja närvaro. Att förebygga frånvaro i skolan.
- Borg, Anna & Carlsson Kendall, Gunilla. (2018). Utanförskap I skolan: Förebygg och åtgärda med Nytorpsmodellen
- Hjärnpodden (2019) - A discussion between school doctor Kristina Bähr and expert Malin Gren Landell on preventing school absenteeism.
- Borås (2018) Tidiga insatser – Report from a project on early attendance to non-attendance in grades 1-3. Clear conclusions on what is needed in terms of organisational level to promote attendance in schools.
- Svedala kommun – Checklist for promoting school attendance, key points for working with attendance etc.
- UR Lärlabbet – Interview with teachers, headmaster, and experts on how to promote school attendance.
- Sveriges kommuner och landsting (2012, Vänd frånvaro till närvaro – A guide to promotion of school attendance.
- Prevalence of school absenteeism (förekomst av skolfrånvaro)
- Skolverket (2010) Skolfrånvaro och vägen tillbaka
- Skolinspektionen (2016) Omfattande ogiltig frånvaro i Sveriges grundskolor – A quantitative report on prevalence on school absenteeism in compulsory school.
- Skolinspektionen (2016) Omfattande frånvaro – A qualitative report on prevalence on school absenteeism in compulsory school.
- Prestationsprinsen (2016) Skolans tomma stolar – A report on prevalence on school absenteeism among Swedish students in grades 4-9.
- Dropout/secondary school level
- PlugInnovation National platform for information on various projects on preventing dropout.
- Temagruppen unga i arbetslivet (2013) 10 orsaker till avhopp - A national report on what students report as causes to early school leaving.
- GRdropout (2014) – Report from a project financed by the European Social Fund. It describes statistics and studies on the effect of dropout, regional efforts and needs in the area, research studies and reports on the issue and experiences from the project.
- Region Dalarna (2018) Plugga klart - Report on a project on the prevention of dropout in a region of Sweden.
- Webbased education to prevent dropout
- Skolinspektionen (2015) Kvalitetsgranskning förebygga studieavbrott – A national report on Swedish schools’ work to prevent dropout from secondary school.