Information in the menus below was updated in May 2020. To contribute information that may be of interest to others in your country, please contact your country’s host: Malin Gren Landell (Malin (at) grenlandelliskolan.se).
Current and upcoming activities and achievements
- International Comparative Perspectives on School Attendance Problems- Analysis of statistics, risk groups and prevention in four countries This research project is funded by the Swedish Research Council from 2020 - 2023.The purpose of this study is to investigate national, organisational and individual dimensions of school attendance problems (SAP) among 15 to 17-year-olds in Sweden, the UK, Germany and Japan. The project uses a mixed method approach combining quantitative analysis of large-scale data on the national level with qualitative case studies on the organisational and individual level. Contact Susanne Kreitz-Sanberg
- The usefulness of SRAS, ISAP and SNACK - An evaluation of three assessment instruments for school attendance problems - Research project on translating three international instruments on school absenteeism into Swedish. Contact: Johan Strömbeck, Master in Psychology, PhD-student.
- Translation of the Inventory of School Attendance Problems (ISAP) into Swedish. ISAP contain 48 items to assess a broad spectrum of school attendance problems. Contact: Ola Tengnér, teacher in special education.
- National investigation of prevalence of school absenteeism. During the year of 2021 The Swedish National Agency for Education (Skolverket) will conduct a national survey to investigate the prevalence of school absenteeism among Swedish students in compulsory school.
- Plug Innan - Ongoing project aiming at supporting schools – grade 5-9 – in their work of promoting, preventing and giving interventions to increase the amount of students eligable for senior high school. Contact: Sofia Reimer, utvecklingsledare, Göteborgsregionen Utbildning
- Reducing school absenteeism - Promoting Health in Gothenburg. A 3-year ongoing multidisciplinary project in Gothenburg, conducted in collaboration between private funded and public funded organizations and researchers from different universities. The aim is to proactively promote school attendance, instead of only taking measures when the students are already absent. The present project is carried out in Angered, one of ten urban districts in Gothenburg. One of the solutions is a digital tool that uses data related to student attendance, and, using machine learning, predicts attendance and absence of individual students. Opportunities are explored to develop a process of collecting questionnaire data from students using a mobile-app, which can also improve the predictions of the machine learning system. The mobile-app will also provide data that increases the understanding of the needs of students, and make schools better equipped to tailor successful interventions. We also plan for a digital action toolbox that includes suggestions for actions that schools can use to increase the school attendance. Furthermore, the analysis of the data can provide us with better understanding of health needs of young people and a better understanding of school environment. Collaborators: Institute for Future studies, Swedish Association of Local Authorities and Regions, Linköping University, Karolinska Institutet, Gothenburg City intraservice, Gothenburg City Primary and compulsory School Administration, Region Västra Götalandsregionens enhet för samhällsanalys, Ivbar Institute AB, Gothenburg University, Sahlgrenska Academy, Secondary Schools Administration, Ping Pong AB. The project is also conducted in collaboration with Sveriges Utbildningsradio AB and Social resursförvaltning. Financial support from Vinnova (Sweden Innovation agency). Contact Sara Nasstrom.
Past activities and achievements
- A governmental investigation focused on promoting attendance in the Swedish compulsory school system. The investigation was conducted by Malin Gren Landell, psychologist, PhD. The investigation resulted in changes in the school law related to school absenteeism. The changes primarily concern assessing reasons for school absenteeism, information at transitions from one school to another, and cooperation. The changes are valid from July 1st 2018.
- PlugInnovation – The largest Swedish collaborative project on prevention of dropout (2012-2018). Reports and resources are available on this platform.
- Sveriges Kommuner och Regioner (SKR) – Fullföljda studier a program for municipalities to take part of to prevent dropout
- #jagmed - a project running from 2016-2018 with joint effort among counties to reduce the number of young people dropping out of school. The aim was to help young people return to studies or internships/work and get a permanent affiliation to the labour market. The project was funded by the European Social Fund (ESF) Contact Lars-Inge Jonsson and Josefin Brüde Sundin.
Helpful links and other resources
- Ifous fokuserar: skolnärvaro Overview of how to promote school attendance
- SOU 2016:94 Saknad! Uppmärksamma elevers frånvaro och agera.
- Onlinekurs ”Närvaro i skolan”
- Research report on short- and long-term outcomes of a CBT-based treatment for students with extensive school non-attendance
- Borås (2018) Tidiga insatser – Report from a project on early attendance to non-attendance in grades 1-3. Clear conclusions on what is needed in terms of organisational level to promote attendance in schools.
- Svedala kommun – Checklist for promoting school attendance, key points for working with attendance etc.
- UR Lärlabbet – Interview with teachers, headmaster, and experts on how to promote school attendance.
- Sveriges kommuner och landsting (2012, Vänd frånvaro till närvaro – A guide to promotion of school attendance.
- Reports on prevalence of school absenteeism (förekomst av skolfrånvaro)
- Skolinspektionen (2016) Omfattande ogiltig frånvaro i Sveriges grundskolor – A quantitative report on prevalence on school absenteeism in compulsory school.
- Skolinspektionen (2016) Omfattande frånvaro – A qualitative report on prevalence on school absenteeism in compulsory school.
- Prestationsprinsen (2016) Skolans tomma stolar – A report on prevalence on school absenteeism among Swedish students in grades 4-9.
- Dropout/secondary school level
- PlugInnovation National platform for information on various projects on preventing dropout.
- Region Dalarna (2018) Plugga klart - Report on a project on the prevention of dropout in a region of Sweden.
- Skolinspektionen (2015) Kvalitetsgranskning förebygga studieavbrott – A national report on Swedish schools’ work to prevent dropout from secondary school.
- GRdropout (2014) – Report from a project financed by the European Social Fund. It describes statistics and studies on the effect of dropout, regional efforts and needs in the area, research studies and reports on the issue and experiences from the project.
- Temagruppen unga i arbetslivet (2013) 10 orsaker till avhopp - A national report on what students report as causes to early school leaving.
- Borg, A. & Carlsson Kendall, G. (2018). Utanförskap i skolan. Förebygga och åtgärda med Nytorpsmodellen.
- Bühler, M., Karlsson, A. & Österholm, T. (2018). Lågaffektivt bemötande och problematisk skolfrånvaro.
- Friberg, P., Karlberg, M., Sundberg Lax, I. & Palmér, R. (2015). Hemmasittare och vägen tillbaka. Insatser vid långvarig frånvaro.
- Gren Landell, M. (2018). Främja närvaro. Att förebygga frånvaro.
- Konstenius, V. & Schillaci, M. (2011). Skolfrånvaro: KBT-baserat kartläggnings- och åtgärdsarbete. Studentlitteratur: Lund.
- Sjödin, K. & Gladh, M. (2018). Saknad i skolan. En vägledning för lärare att arbeta tvärprofessionellt med hemmasittare.